Monday, September 6

Hope does not disappoint us

Having a child with special needs is a journey unique to each family who deals with it. Our family handles much of our struggle and journey through faith and through community. We are fortunate to be surrounded by a community who carries us when we need it most.

I've written and rewritten this blog post in my head, and maybe later I'll expound on my beliefs, but for now, I wanted to get some thoughts down in print.

When I have times that I can not deal with what's going on in the daily grind, or when things hit me like a ton of bricks like they did when I received the results of Will's psychological testing two weeks ago, I fall back on my community and on my faith.

One of the verses that I have posted in a special place is from Romans 5: 2-5.

And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out His love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom He has given us.

While I would never choose to suffer or see my son suffer, my life and my character have been shaped by our journey with Will.

I am a better person because I am Will's mom.

2 comments:

  1. I love this verse. We studied it a great deal in our bible study which we looked at a book called hope. I liked it so much because without the struggles the rewards are never as great. I also like that no matter what the tough time is, you come to realize it's all part of the "plan".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heather,

    I have been following your blog. I adopted my son shortly after you adopted Norah. Nate has severe Apraxia, pt, and ot issues. I do not know what the psychological test results were for Will but I know --as I am sure you do--that test results with our children may not indicate who they are nor accurately access cognitive intelligence or emotional/social intelligence. Nate's first special instructor got him completely wrong and he now has this gifted teacher who sees how intelligent and strong he is.

    Nate gets speech 4X a week with PROMPT trained therapists and it has made a tremendous difference. I do not know if Will has oral/motor planning issues but PROMPT is a good therapy for kids with this issue.

    Good luck with the adoption--Eli is a charmer!!

    Best,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete