Monday, February 28

Happy Adoption Day!!


We've got him! He's ours!

He's adorable, social, spunky, and busy. Those are the best words I can think of to describe him at the moment. He's very talkative which, to me, is a really good sign. I can't understand him at all obviously, but he seems very observant and totally appropriate for a new four year old when what he's saying is translated to me. I've been told some of his sounds are not clear, though this really isn't unusual for a just-turned-four year old.

Jim and I would love continued prayers for the transition. Hannah told us that it was like "living with Grandmas" at the center, and while it is clear he was really loved, it is also clear that with his spunky personality, he might need a bit more structure than he's had in the past. ;) For that reason, I think he's going to give Jim and I a run for our money while we're here. (Hannah told us we need one of those leash harness things! LOL!!) When we left her today, she told us to make sure we didn't lose the child! :)

It is hard to describe our emotions at this point....we're super excited to have him, and yet really overwhelmed when we sit and look at this child who is trying so hard to communicate but can't with us. He also wants to dictate what's going on and wants to have his way.

On the positive side, we're figuring things out as we go. He let us know that he was tired and that he was hungry, and we also figured out very quickly that he was trying to tell us that he needed to use the potty. ;) He told Hannah that he wanted "Kentucky chicken" (AKA KFC) much to Jim's dismay, so we ate chicken nuggets for lunch today. He was adorable because we guessed at what else he wanted, and he ended up with some sort of spicy chicken wings in addition to the nuggets and yet, he was trying to plow through them, as he told the student we had with us "so hot, so very hot". I can see how he won over the hearts of the nannies at Siping.

So far, he has not been very sad at all, though we are just now on our own, so we'll see how he handles having no one who understands him. When he arrived this morning, he was very hesitant to come near Jim and I, but as the morning went on, he asked for us to hold and carry him. Which means that my biceps are going to be getting a workout as he is a big boy and very heavy!!

10 comments:

  1. love the pic of you carrying him walking down the street with you both looking at each other. PRICELESS!!!

    Praying that he adjusts to the structure quickly and you all find ways to communicate for his needs. Hang in there!!!! ~biiig hugs~ He's so lucky to have you!

    Love, Trish

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I got up this morning to see this and my heart literally skipped a beat! Praying for you guys as you transition into life with Eli and the rest of the gang when you get home..What a beautiful story you'll have to share with him and Norah as they grow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather - he is beautiful. Your Dad and I love the picture of you holding him and him looking you in the face. Your Dad had tears in his eyes. We will continue to pray for an easy transition. Eli will see the love you and Jim have for him and it will comfort him and put him at ease. Love you all,
    Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. So awsome!! He sounds like a natural fit for the LT crew! We'll be praying for your patience and strength. We love you guys and can't wait to see you home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was wonderful to read your blog this morning. You and Jim will do fine. Be patient and show your love. He will begin to understand your feelings which is what is important. Beth T.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved waking up to this post this morning. I'm unexpectedly crying tears of joy for you right now. Thank you for sharing your heart and your journey...your family inspires me. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Heather! What a wonderful start!! I loved the picture of you holding him!! It is so precious! He WANTS to be in your arms...I could just cry :-) I cannot wait to see the webcam tonight with your visit! I watched last night, and it was odd not to see Eli with Joey.
    (It is Monday morning at 8:10 here right now.) I hope Eli sleeps well for you, and since he has indicated "tired" before, maybe that is a good sign :-)
    I had to laugh at the "leash" comment and the "don't lose him"!! You are gonna have a blast!!
    Big Hugs!
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  8. How cool!!!! I am so happy that you are finally with your son. Praying that the next period of time is fun and bonding and that all the needs that both you and he have are met. Blessings to you all!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so so happy for you guys! Eli is a lucky little guy ;) Will and Norah were very excited to tell me about him today...We looked at a few pictures, and Will had a huge grin on his face and said "I want Eli." Yay! I am very excited to meet the newest member of your family, and am keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers for a safe trip back and an easy transition! Hugs from Cincinnati!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a little trouble posting here sometimes...sorry. Anyway - CONGRATULATIONS!!! I'm so happy for you all...let your adventure begin!

    ReplyDelete