Wednesday, July 8

I'll let you in on a little secret....

I sometimes lose my cool with my kids.
(Okay, so that might not be a secret to my neighbors! If you've heard some yelling coming from my house, I plead the fifth.)

I've made some changes around here to make the summer more enjoyable. I've started worrying about the house less, choosing my battles with a fairly stubborn 18 month old, and saying "yes" to my kids much more often.

This morning, C (the 6 year old) asked for play dough. So she and N (my 18 month old) began to play while Will was swinging in the sensory room. Until N began to eat the play dough by the handful while I was downstairs, spending a few minutes engaging Will in a new activity.

Who needs exercise? I ran those steps at least a dozen times, back and forth. Will joined in on the play dough instead. A first.

Later, I tried to get them all ready to go to the library for a short visit. I decided to allow N to play in the sink with a bit of soapy water while I put meds together. I showed her how to use a little pitcher and fill and dump it into the sink.

Until I gave Will his meds and heard water pouring all over my kitchen floor. She dumped it everywhere but the sink. It was at this point that things spiraled downhill, and N ended up in her room, in her crib (screaming!) so I could take a time out myself. But not before I yelled at her and totally lost it. I ended up coming back and rocking her in her room for about 10 minutes before we tried to leave the house again.

Now I am sitting here printing pictures for her baby book, recalling those first days after we met her in Vietnam. Feeling like a total winner of a parent. Hoping she forgets by the time she wakes from her nap.


Thankfully, tomorrow is another day.

3 comments:

  1. Ditto... on the confession about yelling, I mean. At this point, I don't know any parents that aren't pushed to yelling at some point (often daily points). I'm going to try to implement some of your new principles and see if it helps me. Be kind to yourself, she'll forget... After all, you're Mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No worries. We can't hear you yell over the other neighbors :) They like their music loud. I can't tell you how many times my children have spent a little time in a room away from me, so mommy can take time out. I have also found myself repeating "I don't want to go to jail". Anyway, they can make us crazy...happy and crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't beat yourself up over it...I think all parents yell at some point...some more than others. I try not to, but I have gone to work with a sore throat from trying to get the girls out the door in time for the bus more than once. :)

    ReplyDelete